My new bloggy friend Misty asked what I thought would be good ways to stay in touch if the phone is not your thing. For me personally, I DON'T like talking on the phone that much.....but it is a necessary evil when you have distance in between you.
So, some things that work for me:
1. I have a phone date every Monday with one of my besties and we eat ice cream while we talk and we don't change the date EVER(well unless we really need to). This helps because we don't play phone tag with each other and we both know when we are talking. Also this helps with not having any distractions..since you know you will be talking.
2. I also try to call people when I am in the car driving somewhere. It makes it easy, you are in the car for a certain amount of time and then you get off when you arrive. This keeps the conversation from being too long and overwhelming. Sometimes, I get overwhelmed by feeling like I have to talk to someone for an hour for it to be meaninful. This is not true. So, the "car" talks keep it short and sweet.
3. Facebook, Facebook, Facebook. Use this technology to your advantage. It is a great way to let somebody know you love and miss them when you are busy.
4. Snail mail or email. I personally love snail mail. So great!
Anybody have any other advice...leave it in the comments below.
Basically not too much is going on and I really have nothing of interest to post!
So who is ready for Christmas???? I AM, I AM!!
I finished my Christmas shopping yesterday at the outlet mall. And let me just tell you the Banana Republic outlet made me FORGET that I was shopping for other people. I just wanted to buy for me!!!! But I resisted!
T-minus two days till I go visit my hometown and see my parents. Can you believe it has been two years since I have set foot in my hometown. Ridic.
Alright, friends, so this post is less than happy. And I debated about even posting it, but I need to get this out. And let's face it-no one's life is perfect all the time, right? So I can't be all roses, and daisies, and gumdrops now can I?
I have to be honest. My heart and soul has been sad for a while now about one certain subject.
Now, I am not the kind of girl who makes friends easy. I have TONS of surface level friends that I can hang out with and have a great time with. BUT, I can count on one hand the number of DEAR friends that I just have a soul connection with. You know the friends that you can completely bare your soul to and who will cry with you and hug you any time you need?
See I have a hard time making those kinds of friends. I am NOT good at being vulnerable.... and I kind of have a harder time letting people in. So when I do, you are usually a friend for life. As in you are not getting out of this friendship ever.
But moving away is not the easiest thing. Especially for the one leaving like me. Sometimes, people are not great at being on the phone. Such is the case with one of my friends.
She is definitely one of those friends that you see being the "aunt" to your future kids, being 60 years old and going on a girl's vacation, and having a friendship that spans several decades.
Or at least I thought.
And this is the part that hurts the most dear readers. I call. She doesn't answer. She returns my call........three weeks later. We talk for two minutes....she becomes distracted, then asks if she can call me back .....and doesn't. We talk alot...when she needs a shoulder to cry on....when she doesn't....the phone doesn't ring.
And basically, I am hurt and emotionally exhausted from all of the effort I have to put in. And every time this happens, I get my feelings hurt. Of course, when we see each other in person, it is like nothing has changed....and I see my old friend emerge.....but it is the cliche " out of sight, out of mind".
And I am sick of it. Do I continue being a great friend to her and take what she gives and get walked on? Or do I take a step back and let my heart heal and focus my time elsewhere?
I don't know...this has been weighing on me pretty heavy. Prayers are much appreciated.
And because I need a pick me up. For your viewing pleasure.
Frist off-the OU Santa in our bathroom. His list says that we want the best football team in the land. Maybe next year, Santa, maybe next year.....
Hubs decided he wanted in on the nutcracker fun. Here is the start of my collection....I love them so much!!! Must get more!
Our little nativity set. We get a new piece each year!
The is a little reindeer training center that my grandmother painted. I love it!! It cracks me up that little reindeer up on top learning to fly!
I REALLY like reindeer too!! And this one is covered in glitter! :)
Reindeer plate that is now filled with candy!
Just got this one this year..the Lord's prayer.
My fav childhood ornament..the nutcracker...love this ballet and ornament.
Gingerbread couple from our first Christmas married.
Pottery Barn frame ornament. We got this last year..I need to put a pic of us in it!
Our Just married ornament...this is adorable!
Our mantle with our stockings......which reminds me I need to finish making Jonathan's personalized stocking this year so we can get rid of the generic stocking!
Our tree skirt....needs more presents on there...that is just sad I know!
We were yelling and chanting "Put in on, Put it on" about the jersey my BIL got from us!!! It is seriously the most energetic Christmas you will ever see.
Unfortunately, I failed at taking pictures. FAILED. As in my camera wasn't even charged up so I got not one picture. The above two were stolen off of Facebook. Sigh.
I was, however, a crazy person and ever so determined to get that bargain, I headed off at 2:45 in the morning on Black Friday in search of it. But unlike the rest of America, I had to be at work at 6 that morning as well. Ha! Work won't slow me down! This woman WILL shop!
Kinda sad to see Thanksgiving go but also glad that I can start celebrating Christmas. I mean honestly who's idea was it to make Thanksgiving so close to Christmas? T-giving always gets the shaft!
Can't wait to show you all the pics of our Christmas deocorations! So stay tuned for that!
There is a huge pot of chili remains sitting with warm water in our sink from last night's dinner. Gross I know.
A bathtub that really needs to be cleaned but I didn't get around to it this weekend.
Two dessert recipes that I printed out and wanted to try making on Sunday that I somehow didn't even manage to make it to the grocery store to buy the ingredients for.
My kitchen table looks like a gift wrapping station threw up on it.
I have people that I should have called this weekend.
I STILL have two people to buy Christmas gifts for before the hubby's early Christmas extravaganze on Wednesday.
GOOD LORD. MY LIFE IS IN SHAMBLES.
And why I am sure you are asking. Because of this.
I held off from this craze for as long as I could. I already have enough addictions in my life and I really didn't want to add anymore. Hello reality tv and junk food.
But on Saturday morning I was at Walmart and saw the first book on sale for 5.97. So I thought, heck that seems like a bargain. Let's see what all the fuss is about.
And I saw, readers, boy did I see.
I sat down and began to read around 3 as the hubby was writing a paper. I thought I would read for a few hours and then do some of the chores around the house. WRONG.
I was still reading when hubby went to practice at 8. I came up for air only to eat dinner, move my laundry to the dryer, and hang out with the hubby for 30 minutes before he left for practice. When I was still reading when hubby came home from practice, I knew I was in too deep and that I would probably have all of the books read by the time next weekend arrives.
I already have hubby offering to watch the first movie with me. Which is delightful because of course I NEED to see this book come to life on the big screen.
I think he was scared though when he walked in to find me holding the book dangerously close to my face, flipping the pages as fast as my hands could turn, with that wide-eyed, lost-to-the-world look on my face. And I may have been drooling when he walked in. I can't be sure, it was all a blur.
So readers-I have fallen prey to the book and been biten(haha come on, I couldn't resist that one) by the Twilight bug. I just hope I still remember to eat and shower this week. It is all I can think about. :)
Any of you ladies feel guilty about buying stuff for yourself during Christmas time when you are supposed to be shopping for others?
- we are house sitting this weekend for Jonathan's boss......and they have a whirlpool tub......I know what I will be doing tonight!
- the above bullet sounds creepy...they are more family friends than co-workers...so that tub thing is less creepy.
- We only have 3 more people left on my hubby's side of the family to buy Christmas gifts for.....we are on the ball!
- I have had to keep a secret about a Christmas gift since August.......I am bursting and can't wait till its not a secret anymore.
- I have NO IDEA what to get my husband for Christmas...this happens every year and completely stresses me out.
- I almost had a heartattack over a pair of shoes today in DSW.....seriously I was so excited that I was talking out loud about how much I love them and didn't realize until a lady looked at me funny.
- Went to see the movie THE BOX last night.....hubby and I thought it looked interesting.....WRONG...it was terrible...we were very angry after we left......I tried to get hubby to leave in the middle because it was that bad.
- I need to get back on the running band wagon....I have been a slacker and have also been eating a ton.....why do I always end up being pudgy during the winter?
- My life is being taken over by basketball now that hubby is the team chaplain...we are in full fledge season mode now. Our dinner talks usually include some sort of basketball lingo.
- You should see my face full of confusion during these talks. Hubby has to define a lot of "terms" lately.
- Am missing Lakeland a lot right now. Can't wait for Macon to feel fully like home. Moving is hard.
- That was a lot of incomplete sentences above. I promise I took
- My bestie is moving to California in January. I am so proud of her for taking such a big leap and moving out there by herself.
- I am even more proud that she picked such a great place to move to so I can visit!!
- Is November 14th too early to put up Christmas decorations?
- I bought these shoes today for 15 dollars.....Love them.
It was literally one of the worst feelings in the world. I could barely look into his eyes while I was doing it. He was completely deflated. I just kept thinking about how I was taking away his livelihood and how in the economy, it will be such a struggle for him to find another job.
Horrible. And right before Christmas. Gaw.
He did have plenty of opportunities to correct the situation before he was fired. But that doesn't really make me feel better. I wish he would have tried harder.
Today I had to spend the majority of the morning in the pouring rain fixing something. I was soaked and miserable.
Happy Freakin Tuesday.
So I went online the other day after reading the so cute Just Dandy to find the below boots that she mentioned.
Beautiful right? Now guess where she found these at?
Walmart.com!!! They are 20 dollars and 1 dollar shipping. So for a whopping 21 dollars you can be walking around in these glorious boots!!!
So I went online and decided to do a little looking and holy moly this is NOT the wal-mart I grew up with. Check out some of the stuff they have. ADORBS!
Disclaimer: Now I haven't seen any of this stuff in person, so it could b e a total train wreck IRL, but for only 1 dollar shipping, try it out and if you hate it, then I bet you can take it back to a Wal-mart store!
This grey shift dress is super cute and would look cute with black tights and boots and a cute pop of color, maybe a cardigan or a statement necklace.
The conference was really long and made me wish I worked in an industry that wasn't so male dominated. By the end of it I was so DONE with hanging around with the guys and just wanted to have a girly conversation. I did get to see my best friend from high school one night which helped!!
While on the plane I read this:
Also, while in Dallas, I went to a concert and found a new artist that I am obsessed with. I love when that happens, when the opening act is almost as good as the headliner and you get to find a new artist.
I give you Caitlin Crosby:
She kind of has a different sound. Very soulful meets rocker and her voice is very unique. She may not be for everyone, but check her out and see if you like her style!!
I'm off to watch One Tree Hill!!!
Well here is the conversation I had yesterday with the hubs.
Hubs: Walks in the room and stares at tv before I could change the channel- Aren't you supposed to be watching less reality tv??
Me: looks up from watching the same RHATL for the 50th time- Yes, I have given up a lot of shows!!!
Hubs: Really? What shows have you given up? Because you are still watching Real Housewives, The Hills, The City, the one about the flipper, Rachel Zoe, the one with those annoying real estate guys, so what have you given up?
Me:long silence............I don't watch Real Chance of Love anymore! (Hah...me thinking I got him.)
Hubs: I JUST saw you watching that last night.
Hi, bloggy world, my name is Mandie and I am a reality addict. :)
These pretty little flats are only 12 dollars people!! Seriously...so cute to add a little extra to a simple outfit.
Love this dress...such a great staple for winter....you can acessorize to your hearts content!!
- the other day while driving to work, I heard the very beginning of the early morning show on the radio. Not ok.
- I need a giant turkey leg from the fair and a pumpkin straight from the patch soon or I may get cranky( subtle hint husband)
- Team Lauren all the way: still can't figure out how Kristin isn't embarassed about taking Lauren's reality show reject.
- Am actually scared to buy myself a bag of candy corn this year, starting to believe that crack is an essential ingredient in the stuff.
- Have not gotten my flu shot and not planning on it: sick day + sleeping all day + watching insane amounts of tv= something I DO NOT want to avoid.
- my husband, for the first time in our two plus years of being married, hogged the bed last night. i finally got to see what his life is like.
- am finally giving in to the twilight craze and see what the fuss is all about. Willing to bet my left arm, I will be having dreams about Edward about 2 pages in.
- hoping OU kicks some Longhorn booty this weekend!
God has seriously laid this family on my heart. PLEASE PRAY for Fred and his wife and also their three grandchildren they are raising. I cannot imagine what they must be going through.
Also, please pray for these boys who did this that they would repent and come to know the love of Jesus. And their families, I can't imagine how hard it would be to find out your sons were capable of committing such a heinous act.
The night started out and we were laughing so hard that this first picture was a big time FAIL....but I actually love it!! Someone must have said something funny and Erin couldn't handle it!!!
And YES we do weird things to each other all the time...our relationship with each other is awkward!!! And this picture captures it perfectly!
Me and my bestie!!
Trying to get a group pic in the car!!! We couldn't find one we liked!
At least we are all ACTUALLY in this one!!
My roomie forever!!! LOVE HER!!
And feel free to skip the next series of pictures!!! This what happens when you get best friends together who haven't been around each other for a year!!
We wanted full length shots!! What doesn't everyone love a mirro picture!!!??
Gaww...I love them!
For some reason she kept doing this!!!
WE met up with Arian to do a little shopping!
We ended the night watching OU play at a Louie's on Campus Corner!!! A blast to scream and yell with people who "get" OU!!! we won't talk about how we didn't play so well.